Today, electricity accounts for 31 percent of all CO2 emissions worldwide. Every energy intensive industry is looking to electrification as a solution, and the demand of electricity is expected to increase by 57 percent until 2050. Electricity from fossil free sources will be one of the important solutions to decrease CO2 emissions and to enable this development – for this reason we need a flexible, robust and stable energy network.
– We have electrified Sweden before and now we are now about to do it again. Our longstanding relationships with customers, politicians and research institutes contributes to our climate effective solutions, says Annika Viklund, SvP Vattenfall Distribution and Managing Director Vattenfall Eldistribution.
Vattenfall’s commitment to the north of Sweden dates back more than 100 years. In this region, Vattenfall has a lot of hydro power plants, a large distribution network and many energy intensive customers.
– One of the main benefits of operating in northern Sweden is the green and clean energy production. Not only because of the hydro power, but also the wind power.
– With 100% renewable energy, 100% of the time, and at Europe´s lowest prices, Norrbotten is top of investors´ mind when they are looking to increase production and also lower costs, says Jörgen Eriksson, CEO at Invest in Norrbotten.
As a Swedish state-owned company and the largest electricity distributor in Sweden, Vattenfall role in solving the climate change is monumental.
– We need to make sure that we can deliver upon the society’s and our customers’ expectations when it comes to fossil free alternatives. To provide climate smart solutions and enable fossil free living within one generation is our purpose and our goal.
The next step for Vattenfall is to continue to develop fossil free energy production and to make sure that the current production stays robust even though a lot of the energy coming into the system is weather dependent.
– We have a lot of partnerships going on, one example is HYBRIT where we collaborate with LKAB and SSAB to produce fossil free steel. We are also testing how to work in deep mines with fossil free transportations. Combining different technologies will be important to enable a climate-smarter society.
For Vattenfall, Demo North is important in many ways.
– This is where we meet our customers and get the chance to share insights and future plans, says Annika Viklund.
Vattenfall was one of the keynote speakers at Demo North Summit, 26-28/2 2020. The event was an activity within the project “Demo North”, owned by Invest in Norrbotten and financed by the European Regional Development Fund, the County Council of Norrbotten and Sparbanken Nord.
Learn more about other fields